For 28 years Mills Wharf was a renowned center for fishing & waterfowl hunting for thousands of visitors. Since the 1880's sportsmen had been coming to the area for hunting and fishing by railroad. Before the causeway was built, Lamar Peninsula was only accessible by boat from Rockport & Fulton on Live Oak Peninsula.
Howard Mills and his wife Edith started their hunting and fishing camp at Mills Wharf in 1932. The large building included a guide service office, store, café, and tackle shop. Wells Court, a set of 19 simple frame cottages, provided lodging.
Thousands of hunters and fishermen from Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio and even out of state visited Mills Wharf over the years. In 1946 Howard Mills sold the business to his two sons, Herbert and Harry. The brothers were both popular hunting and fishing guides.